Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Green Acres is the place I wanna be...


"Farm living is the life for me. Land spreading out, so far and wide.  Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside....
internet unknown
On Sunday, I shared with you the wonderful trip to Bar Harbor I had with My Miss Sarah.  In route, I received a phone call from my niece Michaela. 

Mic:  Mom wanted me to call and see what time you were coming down.
Me:  I didn't plan to, I'm in Bar Harbor with Miss Sarah.
Mic: Ok 
Me: Can I speak to her?
Mic:  You know how she is, when she gets crazy.  She ran in here, told me to call and got weird and ran out.
Me: Ok, any idea what she wanted.  
Mic: Nope, she just asked me to call.
Me:  Ok, have her call me.

Let me give you some back ground.  During this conversation, Mic is working in the clubhouse on our parents golf course that myself and my sisters Tammy and Susie went into partnership with.  I knew they were there working.  So, I start asking myself I wonder what's going on.  Is there a problem.  Should I be there?  

Susie, calls and talks to me about gardens.  Well everything must be OK so I enjoy my day with my daughter.

On Monday, I went down so we could work on our up coming Grand Opening.  This is where the story breaks away and I am going to share with you what my sisters were up to while I was in Bar Harbor..

Both Susie and Tammy live in the next town over from the golf course.  The route home takes them by one of Mid-Maine's hidden treasures.  Houston Brooks Auction Barn!  On one of Tammy's trips between the golf course and home, she spotted it.  My sisters caper begins.
Enlisting this man to help
Meet Stephen, Tammy's husband.
Stephen's position within our new partnership is the $$$ guy.  Known to be frugal.  He was tested by my dear sweet sisters.  I have yet to get the whole story but I will share with you what I know and update you as I discover the full scope of this caper.  This is what I do know.  When Mr. Norm and I celebrated our 25th, my sweet sisters announced they were adding to the Turner Farm.  They were buying us a Donkey.  I was thrilled, but heart broken at the same time.  With the new commitment of the course, the 200 mile round trip to get there and back, along with all the other things we had on our plate, we did not have the time required to bring one home.  We had to decline their incredible gift.  This occurred in March.  Do you know how much has happened since March? Enough stuff has happened for me not to be thinking about a donkey coming to the farm.

As fate would have it on one of Tammy's trips home she spotted the perfect gift for us and this is where I'm assuming, went right to work calling Susie and then laying the ground work with Stephen.  This is some of the conversation I do know.

Tammy:  Stephen, will you please go to the auction?
Stephen:  you want me to be up and there by 5:30am on Sunday for a Donkey?
Tammy:  Please
Stephen:  seriously a donkey? That much on a donkey? Tammy!
Tammy: Please

The auction house had the donkey set up with a cart and ready to go.  The day of the auction Tammy gets a call.  
Stephen: The cart went for $150.00.  (I bet he was about to pass out)
Tammy:  Please Stephen.
Stephen:  Alright but I'm not getting the cart

Susie:  Glen will you build a cart.  We can put flowers in it.
Glen:  Norm can build a cart a lot better than I can. (wow your good Glen)

Going through 3 sets of 4 different guys helping him load it and 2 of them riding with his newest purchase in the back of the pickup down to the course, Stephen delivers it to the golf course.  Tammy and Susie go to work finding accessories for the newest addition to the Turner Farm.  Tammy has Mic call me to verify my whereabouts.  I don't show up until the next day.  Keeping Tammy and Susie anxiously awaiting to present their gift to The Turner Farm.
Donkey is coming home!







Isn't she perfect?  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!

Now to get her home.  From what I hear, she weights "at least a thousand pounds".
I'm hoping to have her home before the new babies arrive.

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. Now THAT is a story! Such wonderfully mischievous sisters you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If A$$, Jack ever goes missing... you know where to find him/her :) Love!!! That is a wonderful story too... I like your sis's style ;) -Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my...thought this was not going to end well...but happy ending!!! The older I get the more I like these inanimate no mess low maintenance (sp?) cute objects...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laurie, I love love the donkey- i would of taken home as well. Love those unique off beat pieces.
    Karryann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Laurie, I've laughed my "ass" off on this one. How funny. I just knew they had a found you a real donkey and then to see your new addition and the sign---so awesome. What a great family you have :) I have to tell you, when things settle down you really want to get a pair of mini-donks. They are just the best and so loving!! Great post and thank you for sharing with me :)
    Amy

    ReplyDelete