Friday, October 1, 2010

All About Me

Please note ~ this post has been edited. 
It was originally created to Link to Funky Junks Link Party
All about Me. Thought it would be a good way for us to get to 
know each other a little better.  I look forward to meeting you!

~Who I am~

Executive Chef, who's dream is to supply the majority of my family's food from our farm.
I'm getting closer to that goal 
I love to cook and create
I read cookbooks like one would a novel
Yet, I Never, Ever, Ever, use a recipe
I collect old kitchen gadgets and rolling pins
It has become an obsession
I am currently redoing this wall.  
Yup, I'm changing it up ~ to showcase more gadgets!

I AM A JUNKIN JUNKY

~ Where I live ~
I live on 128 acres in a remote Maine town.
1 mile to the closest neighbor
12 miles to the closest store
62 miles to where I work

I am currently flock keeper of 50 barred rocks 
and 20 pearl guineas. 
They are my entertainment
I am frugal in all aspects of my life.
We are building our dream ~ out of pocket.
 We are currently in year four.
  Many rooms are still at the insulation stage.

~ My Favorite Room~

My Kitchen
We have done everything ourselves.
Not buying until we find a bargain.
we bought the commercial hood from a restaurant that went under
after 2 months of operation.

~  Something you may not know about me ~

I live without TV. I need quiet time.  
My brain is constantly on overload creating
recipes, planning the next construction project on the farm,
 gardening, DIY projects
The list goes on and on.
There is no room for the noise created by the TV, 
so several years ago I unplugged.
This is what I choose to fill my brain with now

~ One more thing you may not know about me ~

 Two of my sisters, myself, and our husbands recently 
bought our parents homestead and golf course.
My Grandfather established the course in 1927.
The property was settled by my great, great, great...
well you get it...in 1754.  
22 years before our country gained it's independence.
To say I'm a Maine Girl is an understatement.
I have roots ~ deep roots ~ in Maine 
and on that family property.
Which creates a deep in my soul desire to create those roots
for my children and my children's children.
A gift created for me and our family many generations ago.

~ Why I Blog ~
As a child, I would spend hours reading
 the diaries of my ancestors
I wanted a journal for my children and their children of 
Life on the farm.

and I blog because of 

YOU. 

 Each and every one of you add to my life.
THANK YOU! 

Photobucket

20 comments:

  1. This was fascinating. I so wish we had deep deep family roots. We do have embedded roots, having the majority living in the same city and county for the last 80 years. My mom in the same home for almost 55 years - with the original phone number. It's a start.
    I look forward to reading more about your renovations.
    I too look in varied places for a good bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post Laurie! Some of the things about you I knew, others I didn't but it was all interesting to read. I think the land that has been in your family for years is wonderful! What a fabulous legacy.

    I watch the occasional movie but not your regular TV. There just isn't time when you live in the country and I don't miss it at all. There's much more fun things to do! (And it's great for the kids!)

    And if I ever come to Maine again, I think I'll skip the Hilltop and visit you instead! : )

    Be well ~Andrea~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, absolutely fascinating and wonderful the earthy life you have carved out for yourself. I am in awe! Love your place, your deep roots, your love of cooking (I'll bet you're a phenomenal chef, of course!), your family taking over the family golf course (my husband would LOVE having one of those in the family). Thank you so much for sharing your enviable life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurie, I LOVED this! Amazing story about the golf course. I can see why you made it such a high priority.

    And let's just talk about that KITCHEN. You junk AND cook. You are my dream come true; except for the guuuurl part. LOL

    Your SYT projects took me back. They still look as stunning today as the day they aired. :)

    Thanks for linking up! It was great mingling again.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am proud to be related to you ... although it's only by marriage, it's a forever bond. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved getting to know you a little bit better while reading this. It's so nice to hear someone's heart when they write or speak.

    My family visited Maine a couple of years ago, and we all fell in love. It was beautiful. I hope someday to go back. You look like you live in such a beautiful place, Laurie, and I love that you and your husband are building as fixing up as you can. Won't it make your home that much more special and make you appreciate it all so much more?

    ReplyDelete
  7. So interesting! Our family were pioneers in Arkansas, my Grandmother took great pride in the fact her family helped settle Boone County! I can imagine you feel such a sense of accomplishment to be building your house as you pay for it, not very many people do that. The more I read your blog, the more I want to read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. one more thing, my grandson wants to know if you operate the golf course or is it a farm now?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous stories and a fabulous life! Your photos are gorgeous, too. I love your home and living area. It looks so beautiful what a great blog. I will be back!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad you found me!
    It sounds like we have some common ground.

    I hate to cook, but cook with no recipes either. I do it once with the recipe and then on out it is by memory or something close.

    I love that you are building out of pocket. This year all our projects are that way...it works good because usually you cannot build more than you have purchased.

    The ladder/display boards are fabulous!

    I am so curious about your family history. I would love to have the same.

    We watched a documentary called The Farmer. It was about a guy near Chigago who struggles to keep a farm that has been in his family for generations. You could tangibly tell the earth, was a part of his soul.

    I am going to befriend you also because I want to follow your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow! What a fabulous back story. :) Thanks for sharing, it was fabulous to read about your family history of the golfcourse. You all are very fortunate to still have it in the family.
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  12. Golly, it seems we have a lot in common. Besides all the deep family ties...I have been collecting kitchenware for...hmmm...lets say many many years! This was a beautiful post. I am happy to meet you and will follow along! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your post! Just a stunning life you lead! I'm sooo jealous, as we are trying to turn our little 16 acres into a farm. I want to be just like you when I grow up :) Your kitchen is fabulous, especially the ladder and gadgets!
    I will be following.
    Blessings,
    Becky C
    Buckets of Burlap

    ReplyDelete
  14. How wonderful to have those deep, deep roots. That is something to really cherish. Your life sounds just beautiful, Laurie. I'm most impressed with your non-recipe cooking. I wish I could be creative like that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your "journal"...I'm a new follower.
    Lindy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Laurie - Thank you for coming over and introducing yourself!! I LOVE your 'place' over here. Do you know that Maine is at the top of my bucket list? For some strange reason I've always had a fixation on the New England states. Even as a child growin' up in Missouri (in the Ozarks just above the Arkansas line) I have always wanted to visit Maine (and Vermont).

    By the way....I think you're a perfect candidate for 'Hillbilly Debutante of the Month'....

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great story! I love the way you have chosen to live your life...I want to come hang out at your house!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful! You are living my dream basically. :) Except you need art.. come on, git some paintings on those walls.... I gotta suggestion of where you can find some: www.sherrinelson.ca
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. I so enjoyed this post....I find I have many things in common with you. I too love to cook and I NEVER use a recipe. I collect cookbooks and love to read them. I find it hard to post my recipes...as many of them I have to actually measure when I am cooking and write it down so i can post it! ;)

    ReplyDelete