Thursday, November 18, 2010

Photos and Lighting

Over the last few weeks, I've been trying to dedicate time
each day to read and learn more about taking good photos.
I've spent time over at Funky Junk Interiors reading her tips
and Modern Prairie Girl had a fabulous series of posts
that I printed out and am working my way through.


I still have that cocked~head~thing going on!  


I'm discovering a side of me that I really didn't know existed.
When it comes to taking photos....do I dare say it?... No it 
can't be!!!  Yup, I can't believe it.... I'm impatient.   


That my friend is a hard pill for me to swallow.  I pride myself
on my patience.   I have lived in an in process home for 
almost 4 years now.  Patience of a saint I tell you! 
Yes, I'm laughing at myself as I type this. 


Ask my dear mother-in-law. Almost every time we 
chat on the phone and I update her with our progress on
the farm, she will say "Divorce him, no other women out
there would put up with living that way".  It makes me
laugh every time. It sounds as though I didn't have a choice
in this adventure of ours.


If I recall, it may of been my idea and he was so good to go 
along with it!  Think we were both wanting the adventure,
not fully understanding the journey we were about to take.


Back to the photos.  Donna over at Funky Junk has said it 
in almost every post I have read on photo skills and yes,
Lara at Modern Prairie Girl confirmed.....
photo shoots are work.


But I just want to click and shoot and have our projects look
as good on here as they do in real life and gulp...
I want it now.  


Again, laughing at this discovery and learning the hard way.  


I was so anxious for you all to see the results of the
mudding and sanding job, along with the COLOR that
now lives in our little nook.


Despite the poor lighting created partly from the lack 
of windows in that room and partly from the natural
wood ceiling,  I jumped right in and started clicking
away.  Imagine my displeasure when I clicked on my
post from another computer!


Oh my!!  My excitement bubble burst!


So today, I'm a listening! 
source: internet
 I'm digging out the work flood lights 


source: nikon.com
I'm going to read the manual and learn what all these
settings mean and learn how to use them.


Mustering up the patience and bringing it to the table.  


Maybe, with my next post my true colors will be revealed.

Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. I started reading Modern Praire Girl's tips also. The main thing I have been doing is taking it off of automatic and putting it on A and looking at the F# and how many things I have in my picture. (yeah, I am an absolute amateur here) Good Grief, Laurie!!! It's all too much to try to figure out. I'm with you that I want to point click and voila...gorgeous picture. Isn't that what my camera is supposed to do after all? Good luck with yours. How about you learn and then give me a personal tutorial?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurie, I am right there with you. Reading the manual? Oh my, I would rather have my teeth pulled but then again, if I don't read it I will never get full use of my camera. I keep thinking one day I will magically know what the acronym "SP" means on the little camera wheel. Oh well, perhaps through osmosis :)
    Can't wait to see what you get. Then I will know it is worth all the effort.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I am so clueless here! I just look at the pictures on the camera screen after I have shot them, if they are blurry choose "sport" scene, if I don't like the color, pick "indoor" or "candlelight" or...."cuisine"!
    So, I would count myself as impatient too!
    But your photos look great on this computer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take a course! I took the first of a two parter for my Nikon and I wish I'd done it sooner AND I can't wait to take the next one. My instructor is a photo-journalist. His thoughts on manuals? Trash it. They're written by engineers for engineers. : )

    ~Andrea~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you!I am doing the same thing only all in manual settings, learning the ISO and the Fstop as well as lightings . I used to use just auto and let the camera do it but now that manual settings has more that i can do to my photos right on the camera i am enjoying it. I have a Nikon D60 hubby a Nikon D90 he knows all how to use digital to its fullest Im still learning but he is a good teacher ! I did photography years ago long befor digital with a Minolta 35 ml it looks quite like the Nikons I found that easier to use then digital ! Good luck and try to be patient photography is an art ! Have a snap happy day !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear you on both counts. Photoshoots are a lot of work, and building/remodeling projects sound so much more glamorous before you've started! I had one friend in particular that couldn't understand why I wasn't crying all the time, given the conditions we were living in. You have to be patient, don't you? The only other option is to go stark raving mad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those work lights! Way to get 'er done. Your efforts will be rewarded by beautiful images! So glad you liked the tutorial series...it's fabulous to see so many women gettin' out those manuals.
    Happy weekend~
    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laura im so excited for you! i am hoping for a new camera for christmas..but i dont know if i will get one or not..i am with you, i have always pulled my cameras out and just started clicking but always have felt that im missing out because i never take the time to read and learn. keep us updated and give us courage o wise one! lol yay! you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am soooo like you and soooo not. patient. But I too lived n worked here w/patience. in a gross closet of a temporary kitchen. for *three* years w/a newborn. 'til I helped build my dream kitchen. I really really *want* to take better pics but I can not find the patience for that. right now. Maybe next year? (Please Lord?)
    Love all you do here! Thanks so much for more inspiration and CONGRATS to Mr Norm on the gorgeous table!
    Wishing you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete