Tuesday, February 22, 2011

YUM ~ Top 5 ~ wk3

Welcome to Wk 3 of YUM - Top 5

Congrats to BJ for making Top 5 in FJI Copy Me Challenge
YUM #1


Look at that mantel ~ LOVE it!
how appropriate that her blog is called Sweet Nothings

Brings me to YUM #2



Mr Norm's Mom is the ultimate Junker.
She tells me she was junking way before junking was cool
She has been "cleaning" house and passing many of her
treasures on to me.  Yeah, I know!  WOW


While I plan where and how I'm going to display these treasures
I have them sitting on a windowsill at the bottom of my stairs, in a
baking mold that Grammie T. also passed along to me.


Makes me smile every time I go up or down the stairs


Country Life ~ From my Kitchen Window ~ YUM #3

I never know what I may see from the farmhouse kitchen.

Today while baking, these beautiful creatures caught my
attention.  I didn't have time to do a proper photo shoot.
Is there anything more majestic than a bald eagle? 
I loved watching them. Well, until one decided
to land on the coop.  What would I do if he decided one of the chicks
looked like dinner? Thankfully, something in the back field captured his attention.






The baking I was distracted from ~ YUM  #4

I have been experimenting with different recipes using our ales that are
 produced at our new brewery (at work ~ not on the farm)



Yes, I joined the 30 day smoothie challenge.
Loved it and am still drinking smoothies for most of my breakfasts and lunches.
No, I did not go completely raw.  Earning an income from teaching
people how to pair food and wine, and creating new recipes makes it difficult to follow.
I do eat a healthy balanced diet and lean towards mostly fresh fruits and vegetables.


And yes, I love this bread.  I've made it utilizing several of our ales.
Our stout gives it a rich molasses flavor.  Reminds me of my gramp.
When we were young he'd make biscuits and serve them with molasses. YUM.
When our wheat ale is brewery the entire building smells like caramelized bananas.
Gives this bread that fabulous flavor. 

Many of you have asked for the recipe.
Please remember that I hardly ever measure.

Simple Beer Bread
3 cups flour
3 tsps baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
12 oz Ale
1/2 cup melted butter

I toss in fresh finely chopped rosemary and/or thyme

Note: Self rising flour has baking powder and salt ~ omit these two if using Self rising

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Spray bread pan
Mix first 4 ingredients
toss in herbs.
Transfer to bread pan.
Top with butter.
Bake 1 hour.

I have played with variations. Love adding various cheeses and other herbs.


YUM #5 ~ Toes in the Sand



RULES:  Any Top 5 that puts a smile in your heart
and you link back to this post.
Photobucket


11 comments:

  1. Ohhhh I'm in love with #1 and #2 like you have NO idea. :) Thanks for honoring my buddy BJ one more time!

    I forgot about the Wednesday Yumfest! I'll join in late if the link is open. Or just remember next week!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOO, thanks so so so much for this mention. You are such a sweetie. I so had fun with Donna and her fabulous Funky Junk.
    Speaking of funky junk, I nearly had a hissy fit when I saw all your junky treasures. I can not WAIT to see what you do with them all.

    I love everything in this amazing post..I love your blog...your farm...your meme...you!! :)
    Thanks so much for letting us have a place to share our blessings...aka YUMS..
    xoxo bj

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing photos and yummy's Have a great day !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your Yum Fest! Great photos. I'm going to join you one of these days!.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for hosting ... I love those bottle openers! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have gathered all my ingredients together..hoping that just plain beer will work as well as ale for the beer bread. It is 9 at night and I don't want to start it tonight...will wait until tomorrow. Just can't wait.
    xoxo bj

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Laurie! I am so glad you stopped by!! Please join us anytime, and if you'd like to link an older post, please do so. VTT is pretty laid back within reason!! Welcome to VTT.....we have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those old keys! They'd make a nice wind chime with beads...Mel's Cabin really enjoys your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the old keys. My mom used to have a bunch...but she gave them to a nephew of mine before I could get my hands on them!
    Thanks for visiting Red Hen Home!

    ReplyDelete
  10. don;t know if you will read this or not...jiust wondering how you are...and to say that your Weekly Yum party was my very favorite.
    and I am making your beer bread for the upteenth time...it is soooooo goodl. :)
    hope all is well with you and yours...
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete